Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Critique!

My most recent art project I would consider a success.  When the class was doing a critique of my abstraction of order vs. change I was thrilled to hear that they thought that my project was about exactly what I meant it to be.  In my opinion, as an artist that it is a very satisfying feeling to know that your artwork is easily understood. 

However, looking at it objectively, there are many problems with my canvas.  On the left side that represented order, I feel that the lines were not perfect enough.  They contained many flaws that they should have not.  I should have measured each line so that it would be the same width as all the others and that the white space between the black lines was also of the same measurement.  Another huge mistake I made on the left side was the small imperfections of the black lines (due to the paint used on the tape) that could have been rid of but were not.  The reason why I have such a problem with these imperfections is that it took away from the dramatic meaning of the left side of my canvas.  I felt that those flaws showed some sympathy towards order; since it is impossible to be perfect.  That was not, however, my intention.  The stark black and white lines were meant to create a feeling of detachment.  Even though this was probably still conveyed in some way, I felt like the imperfections of my lines were way too sympathetic to the cause of order.  

Another thing I noticed was that my paint was not nearly as thick as it should have been on the chaos end of my canvas.  The thickness would have added way more texture, drawing the viewer's attention in more, as well as make it harder for the white lines to fit so smoothly over the painting.  That would have added to the feeling of uncontrollable chaos. 

I really feel that my artwork would have been interpreted differently if it were put on a differently colored wall.  It was nice to hear my classmates bring this up because I had considered this prior to presenting my work.  I think it would be interesting to see my canvas placed on a black background because then you could see the white lines more prominently extended off of my canvas.  However, I think that would take away from the illusion that order just disappears inside the cracks of the wall once chaos takes over.  

So after considering the critiques of my artwork, I think it would be interesting to change the orientation of it, perhaps into a cyclical piece or into a sculpture as a sphere.  If I changed the orientation I could perhaps further explore chaos and breaking the confines of the shape.  These are all interesting considerations and I wish I had more time to explore and create all possible options.

No comments:

Post a Comment